Wednesday, September 22, 2010

New and Old (Not Necessarily Antique)

Another noon time visit to my family home in Law Village gave  me a chance to explore the house a bit more and see some things saved over the years. 



Packets of new fire crackers. 


Bao works on a craft project.
New puppy. 

Up on the roof, plants in planters and there is an unintended garden of things growing in the grooves and eaves. 




The upper level of the house is acts as storage space. 






Old tins.  The one of left is for baby formula, the one on the right is for peanut oil. 

Mom talks about old furniture with inlaid marble that used to be in the house.  My paternal grandmother had given it away.  This small side table and painted wooden wardrobe don't compare, but is about the same age.  The urn with spout... it's anyone's guess. 
Right: Old wooden dresser.  Not much in the drawers any more, but the photo perched there (below) looked interesting. 

It showed my paternal grandfather (on the right) when he was a young-ish man. 

The back of the photo dates the image to Singapore, May-1956.
Right: A wooden jelly mould.  Ling Yee Sum gave it to me as a gift when I showed my curiousity.  I felt a little bad for accepting the antique.  Mom later tells me it's not that old, only worn.  If I had wanted, I could buy a new one in the market: A new, wooden one.  My initial assumption that new meant plastic was wrong.  Hm... I wonder if it would work as a cookie mould? 
Photos of my ancestors starting with great-grandparents in the top row.  The second row: Dad (young, and a smaller more recent photo), my paternal grandmother, my paternal grandfather, and unknown.