Monday, September 20, 2010

DINGHUSHAN 鼎湖山

Dinghushan, Cauldron (Tripod) Lake Mountain, was our major stop for the afternoon. 










On the other side of the water was a butterfly museum.  The small enclosure had live butterflies (and caterpillars) with plenty of plants and flowers. 



Left: This Atlas Moth was kept in a cage.  Larger than both my hands put together, I managed to overcome the initial repulsion of too-large-bugs to take a picture.  Then I realised the grey papery leaves lining the cage were actually dead Atlas moths.  Creepy. 







We stop for a break to taste famous tofu (in dessert and deep fried forms) made from mountain water.



At the temple there is a pool for setting free live animals.  Most seemed to be tiny turtles. 



 Inside the temple, this "wok" is behind bars because its connection to a something like a "Loaves and Fishes" miracle: A very little uncooked rice had yielded into enough cooked rice to feed a thousand people. 






We leave the temple after visiting the giftshop where a monk explained to us how the different objects had been blessed. 

The path to the Flying Water Pool passed by the "Tree of Love".  Aunt 5 had hoped I would benefit from touching the tree or perhaps tying a red string on it.  But as you can see, the tree is longer - all that remains is something that looks like modern art. 


The path further led us down the mountain.  I think again to modern art analogies when I encountered more plaques displayed near trees.  Were they actually describing the trees, or were they more "things to think about"?




Downstream: Little kids bathing in the water. 






This cobblestone path was meant to be walked on - the foot massage activates pressure points that are supposedly good for health.  But definitely not comfortable. 




We leave the reserve.

No comments: